White Roof Coating Costs And Benefits
If you believe you'll be saving the roofing decking plywood (not changing it), then you may save yourself some cleanup trouble by removing the components first and after that peeling up the rubber! Information of water damage on camper roofing. More water damaged locations on RV roofing system decking. There was nothing actually terrible that made me seem like I was going to fail, however definitely a lot of damage and I was getting the feeling I would be changing a lot of the roof decking plywood.
How To Apply Elastomeric Paint (With Pictures)
Click To Read: roofing companies Tucson Tucson AZ - DCRoofingArizona.com http://connerxsli110.wpsuo.com/white-elastomeric-roof-coating
I went for the most basic one first, a vent cap from a kitchen sink plumbing vent pipe. Beginning to scrape caulk and sealant. I utilized a stiff scraper with a chisel-like blade and simply began prying and chipping and scraping and hacking. There is no other method around this, you just have to begin digging till you expose the screw heads.
Unscrewing the screws in vent cap. The screws on this vent cap were hex-head metal screws so I utilized a small socket driver to eliminate them. Some came out clean. Others were rusted and I needed to use a vice-grip pliers to grab the heads and turn them little by little.
I found an old wasp nest inside the vent cover. This is a sight I'll probably have actually to get utilized to, finding the remains of animal habitation in every nook and cranny. I spend a horrible great deal of my time producing good wildlife environment in my yard so I don't get upset when a creature selects to set up house in my RV.
Thankfully no one was home in this old nest so I simply tossed it. Perhaps I'll put a screen over it when replacing it. Which brings us to the next point. You ought to try not to damage these pieces (like vent covers and caps) as you're removing the old caulk and sealant just in case you need to utilize them once again.
(Guess I'll find out when the roofing system is done!) Prying up the vent cap and eliminating the last ring of rubber roof below. So I pried up the remainder of the cap and scraped up the remaining rubber roofing and butyl tape and putty and 25 years of other gunk and here's how it looks tidied up.
Everything You Need To Know About Roof Coatings
One down, 7 more components to go. Next I decided to take on the only roofing ventilation fan that my camper has. My roofing vent likewise had a vent cover over it. So I began scraping the gunk from those screws. Starting on the roof vent. Hardware exposed on roofing vent cap, the first nut came off tidy.
How-to: Apply Cool Roof Coating
Bolt is spinning. The fasteners on this RV roofing system vent cover were nuts on small bolts. The very first one came off great with an extension socket package. The second one just started spinning, meaning the bolt was not fixed in place but turning together with the nut. Downer. A peek at the hardware holding down the roofing vent cover.
I didn't have any great way to hold the bolt in location so instead I opted to saw through the bolts with a reciprocating saw. Sawing through bolts on roof vent cover. I used a cordless reciprocating saw with a metal-cutting blade but it was difficult to get the blade flat sufficient to reach the bolts so near the roofing deck. Most were so old and rusted that they sheared off when I loosened then with a lot of force. Loosening the brackets that held the vent cover in location. Then I scraped more caulk and roofing sealant off the flange of the roofing vent itself. I quickly discovered there were no more screws or hardware holding it down so I provided up on the scraping and went inside the RV After scraping the caulk and sealant from flange of roofing vent, say goodbye to screws! Loosening the within cover plate of roof vent fan in Recreational Vehicle restroom.
A couple sheared off with a lot of force, but 2 would not budge. So I had to drill out the screw heads. I picked a drill bit near the size of the shaft of the screws that I had actually currently taken out and started drilling. Picking a drill bit for drilling out a screw head.
Security glasses recommended. So I drilled out the heads, one popped off and the other I was getting irritated with and gave it a tug prior to it was drilled through. Instead of popping off the screw head, the plastic just melted away around the hot screw head. Whoops. Hope I do not need to recycle this cover.
If not, I'll require wider screw heads when re-assembling. Cover plate eliminated from roof vent. Next I found little corner brackets with hex-head bolts holding them in. I unscrewed them (all came out great luckily) and pulled out the brackets and little white plastic spacers. Loosening corner brackets in roof vent.
All corner brackets removed, all set to pull out. Once the brackets were out I returned up leading to pry out the the roof vent. Then I scraped up all the staying gunk and rubber roof. Taking off the old roof vent. There are 2 wires running to the roofing vent (a black hot wire and a white neutral wire) that you'll need to clip to get rid of the old vent.